Thursday, September 07, 2006

First Shots



No we did not have shot glasses lined up for the boy. August 30th Joshua went in for his 2 month check-up and first immunizations. Papa was still in town so he accompanied Mommy and Josh to the pediatrician's office. We had bets going on how long and heavy he was. Dad was the closest on the weight of 11lb. 11.5 ounces (his guess was 12 lbs.), Mom was the closest on length of 23 1/4 inches (her guess was 23 1/2 inches). Papa yeah he was all wrong.

The check-up was uneventful. Dr. McKenna said Joshua was perfect and just where he needed to be. He then proceeded to ask me if I was ready for the shots. I wasn't the one giving or receiving the shots, I was fine. He kept asking if I was going to cry. Am I a pediatric nurse or what - I don't cry for shots. Should I?

Well there was no need for additional tears, Joshua had enough for all the adults in the room. All together the little guy received three shots, 2 in the left thigh and 1 in the right thigh. As hard as I tried to distract him by looking in his face, holding his hands, and talking to him, the little man was intrigued by the nurse and the needles she had on her tray. Pretty soon the precious little inquisitive face turned to that of distress, and big tears rolled down his cheeks. By the thrid shot Joshua's motuh would open, but no sound came out.

The rest of the afternoon he was a bit cranky and very snuggly. By that evening, after some infant Tylenol, the little man was ready to show off the war wounds and Scooby Doo band-aids.
We don't think he realizes he has to do it all over again in two months.

No comments: